Belated Happy New Year! I did this last year and am doing it once again. Throughout 2014, I kept a jar on our kitchen counter labeled “2014 Happy Events”. Every time something special, fun or celebratory occurred I documented it on a slip of paper (kinda like a “Tweet” but not) and put in the jar. It was fun and reminded me about the good things in my life. This is a good thing for like many of us (at least in my recent conversations with friends) 2014 was a rough year – it had its bitter-sweet moments, wonderful occurrences and a good dose of happenings that made me just want to crawl in a corner and pull a blanket over me. 😉
Humorously, to cap it all off, on Tuesday, December 30th, a huge flock of robins found our back yard which we’ve set up as a haven for our feathered friends. I remember standing at the kitchen window watching as they energetically ate to their fill, flew around and then happily made their exit. Shortly afterwards, I walked out to get in my car and found it covered in bird poop. Completely. My husband’s car, on the other hand, was spotless. Not a drop of bird poop. I was, as they say, taken aback. And after several expletives escaped my mouth, I carefully considered how to interpret this final gift of 2014. It was then that I decided to see this as just the odd end to a happy, sweet, sad, interesting and eventful year. I could have seen it as a forewarning but chose not to go there. And I’m happy to report that thus far – 2015 is a very good year. So here’s my year in review via my “2014 Happy Events” jar:
- Began new jar by reading and appreciating 2013’s happy events. Starting my 2014 jar!
- Really good time, at annual oyster roast, despite the frigid temps. Thank goodness for fire pits!
- Working a cool “gig” with Caroline – fun! We are good together.
- Epic “girls night” – no more will be said.
- Great monthly dinners with Rutledge’s and Jenison’s this spring & early summer. Stoley’s will never be the same.
- Dent repaired in my car
- Many house repairs completed
- All flowerbeds mulched and new hydrangeas bushes planted
- Great time with Theresa & Mark pre-wedding – they helped get the house ready for the wedding. Wow – so wonderful.
- Taylor and Kitty’s beautiful wedding #1 at our home on Sat. 05.31.14. Max & Ben were the ring bearers.
- Epic (for a variety of reasons) second wedding ceremony on the beach and celebration at Hatteras
- First vacation in years spent at Cape Hatteras May 31st – June 6th – happy birthday to me!!!
- My job was funded for three more years – WOO HOO! I love you Carolyn Rutledge!
- Even though it was for bittersweet reasons, I got to spend beautiful time with my brother Marc the week that Mother passed. I love him so.
- Sweet and special weekend with my sister Marcia in Ruston, LA for Mother’s final “send off.” She’s the best big sister ever…
- ODU played great in 1st year in C-USA (football); 6 – 6 record. Go BIG BLUE!
- We had another fun year of weekly (well, almost) Thursday night dinners with Jack & Susan. Cut short for a variety of reasons but we can’t wait to get back into our Thursday night flow in the next few weeks.
- Fun and “cold” – brrrr – Thanksgiving with Taylor & Kitty in Chicago. They cooked. It was awesome! I love Chicago and I love AirBnB!
- 12.23.14 – Fun and festive cookie decorating contest (aka: reason for a party) held by Taylor & Kitty at our house. It was great to visit with friends and “kids” we hadn’t seen in a while. Cookies were homemade and delish! But the best thing was the company.
- A lovely Christmas brunch with the Geroe family and then a true family dinner at Shannon and Norm’s. It was so nice to experience the expansion of our family and enjoy it 100%!
- Lovely and delicious New Year’s Eve dinner with Susan & Jack, Susan’s mom and our friend Nancy. We were home by 11:30 and I was able to meditate in the New Year. Thanks for driving, Jack! You are our own personal “Uber” 😉
- Pet harmony achieved – finally! All is good.
Well that about wraps it up. I’m starting the new “2015 Happy Events” jar tonight and looking forward to what this year brings. As I already mentioned, it is already a good one. But … I’m not going to tell you why or how – that would spoil my next “Year in Review” blog post! I wish you the very best 2015. Keep smiling my friends.
PS – Here’s a pictorial review: